Senior Corporate Accountant
Wesgroup Properties started as a family business in British Columbia more than 50 years ago and today is one of Western Canada’s largest private real estate organizations with a diversified portfolio spanning residential and commercial real estate in most asset classes. Wesgroup owns and manages over 3 million square feet of commercial property and has built more than 7000 homes in 100 communities.
Wesgroup is seeking a motivated Senior Corporate Accountant to join its Corporate Accounting team. The Senior Accountant will report to the Corporate Accounting Manager and will assist with preparation of monthly and quarterly financial statements and supporting accounting processes.
- Prepare non-recurring journal entries (adjusting journal entries and journal entries for significant transactions)
- Review account reconciliations for all entities within the Wesgroup Companies, and working papers related period-end reporting requirements
- Review intercompany schedules (intercompany loan, intercompany reconciliations, settlement of intercompany loans/advances)
- Review chargeback from entities within the group to ensure expenses are properly reflected in each legal entity for accounting and tax purposes
- Manage appropriate accounting procedures and processes, including developing a documented system of such policies and procedures
- Maintain the G/L and working paper files for all entities by posting journal entries, doing GST returns, preparing financial statements for audit and reviews to ensure that financial reports and statements reflect accurate numbers.
- Reconciling expenses, preparing statements for audit, variance analysis, shortfall analysis and interim billings
- Build long-term relationships with team heads by focusing on longer term information management solutions
- Interpret business numbers to put them into the appropriate context for others to act upon
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with ASPE standards for several entities
- Work with external auditors for financial statement reviews and audits
- Manage the preparation of the annual Wesgroup Properties consolidated financial statements and Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A)
- Research (with the assistance of the team and other teams) the accounting treatment for significant transactions, and oversee and review accounting memoranda and journal entries
- Review bank reconciliations for selected entities
- Prepare annual budgets and monthly rolling forecasts for corporate overhead by division with supporting schedules, variance analysis and coordinating with other departments to provide accurate information
- Review monthly GST reasonability and its filing, and monitor the opening and closing GST registrants, ensuring compliance with CRA requirements for being a GST registrant and reporting requirements (monthly, quarterly or yearly filing)
- Review work papers supporting the annual tax return
- Manage ad hoc tasks as assigned by Manager – Corporate
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- 3 - 5 years of experience in an accounting and treasury role
- CPA designation or equivalent
- Experience in using Yardi Voyager is preferred
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in MS Office applications with advanced Excel skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) are required
- Have a good understanding of complex organization structure and the flow of funds between related parties
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational skills
We will provide a competitive salary and benefits package for the right candidate as well as a professional and rewarding working environment.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for follow-up will be contacted.
- Pay Type Salary
- 1055 Dunsmuir St, Vancouver, BC V7X 1L3, Canada