Director, Information Technology
People come first at Heartland. As a result, our focus is on relationships. It’s all about delivering genuine customer experience. We have a team of solution–oriented problem solvers providing expertise on our home, farm, commercial and auto products.
Reporting to the President and CEO, this senior level position will provide leadership to our IT team and will be responsible for the technology enabling the business. At this time, the organization is undergoing a system transformation to have a competitive edge in the marketplace, and this role will require both future vision as well as the maintence of current systems. The Director of IT will provide strategic direction and leadership and execution of IT infrastructure and business services support across the organization, while supporting the organization’s overall business plans. A key leadership role, the IT Director will be a member of the Executive Team, and be responsible for providing an IT strategy while managing in a secure environment. As both a technical expert and leader, the ideal candidate will drive operational effectiveness though the use of technology.
What you will do…
• Plan and manage all IT functions, including server and network infrastructure, business systems development and support, information and data management, general IT support services and IT staff management and development.
• With the CEO, support a governance structure that aligns IT application initiatives with business priorities while balancing resource constraints (human and fiscal) to optimize IT investments.
• Responsible for the selection, acquisition, development, installation, maintenance and support of information technology infrastructure, network management, desktops, security and information technology applications, and business systems.
• Day-to-day management of information technology infrastructure and team support to ensure service level agreements are met.
• Establish and effectively manage the annual business plan and budget for the IT department by fostering innovation, prioritizing IT initiatives, and executing the evaluation, deployment and management of current and future IT systems across the organization.
• Directing technical projects in alignment with organizational goals.
• Develop and maintain an appropriate IT organizational structure supporting the needs of the business.
• Manage requests for proposal/services processes, determine service requirements, sourcing vendors, determine costs and timing, negotiate terms and conditions with vendors, and monitor work/service/product quality and performance.
• Day-to-day oversight of information technology application delivery and support team to ensure application delivery milestones and support service level agreements are met.
• Maintain a service level model for the IT organization that establishes benchmarks and measures against which the IT organization will perform and be evaluated.
• Develop and maintain service level agreements and manage to target performance levels for application availability, response time and network performance.
• Manage, in conjunction with other leaders, the project approval and selection process.
• Coordinate project initiation, prioritization, and information technology resource allocation.
• Ensure the protection of IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information is maintained.
• Prepare and maintains operations, Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP) that supports the Business Continuity Plan (BCP) to ensure timely and effective restoration of data and IT services in the event of any disaster or failure.
• Liaison, collaborate with the Business stream leaders to define strategic application systems direction, roadmap and align, engage infrastructure team accordingly.
• Personnel management of team including conducting performance evaluations, coaching as appropriate, ensuring ongoing development and education, and participating in the staffing/recruitment process.
• Promote and oversee strong relationship management with all departments of the organization, and also with key strategic external partner
• Oversees and evaluates system security and back up procedures.
• Directing the effective delivery of networks, development, and disaster recovery systems and processes.
• Overseeing all technology operations and evaluating them according to established goals.
• Analyzing the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs.
What you will bring…
• B.Sc in Computer Science/Business with extensive leadership experience with a minimum 10 years in an IT management role, with proven Senior IT Management background.
• Proven experience in IT project development and management.
• Experience with Cloud hosted technology.
• Expertise and proven skills in liaising with an external IT vendors and leading an IT team.
• Proven skills to lead the development of business and operational systems and processes.
• Expertise in leading IT staff, financial resources and various systems, processes and protocols to achieve continuous improvement.
• Thorough understanding of IT Security principles and practices.
• Strong analytical ability; ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, both logical and interpersonal.
• Exposure to strategic planning and experience with executing under a strategic plan; with demonstrated ability to lead, and align to common vision, objectives, and outcomes.
• Leadership and interpersonal skills, such as facilitation, collaboration and negotiation.
• Strong communication skills (spoken and written).
• Ability to clarify complicated technical concerns to non-technical individuals.
• Organizational, project and program management planning skills.
• Negotiation and conflict resolution skills to resolve complaints and mitigate issues.
• Coach, mentor and manage assigned implementation and support teams.
• Act as liaison to business leaders with respect to the governance and prioritization of both IT application and infrastructure initiative.
• Excellent understanding of technology infrastructure, networking, security and technical helpdesk.
• Strategic leadership experience in promoting and supporting compliance through customer service.
• A broad understanding of business technologies, standards, applications and solutions relevant to a small organization.
If you have the qualifications we are seeking and would thrive in a work environment where you are valued and respected, please apply on the company website. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank you for your interest in Heartland Farm Mutual, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. (Only qualified candidates please. No agencies.)
A Place Where YOU Can Make a Difference! Proudly Canadian. Mutually Owned.
- Pay Type Salary
- Waterloo, ON, Canada