Residential Prime Mortgage Underwriter
Canada's Challenger Bank™If you're looking for a workplace where employees are passionate about their work environment, then read on. What sets Equitable Bank apart from other companies is its culture. We celebrate and embrace the fabric of diversity, the employee engagement process and collectively take pride in our business successes. Our commitment to our customers, our partners and our employees creates a stimulating and exciting atmosphere that generates innovative products and outstanding service quality.
Equitable Bank is Canada's ninth largest independent Schedule I bank, serving Canadians coast to coast. It offers a diverse suite of residential lending, commercial lending and savings solutions, including high-interest savings products and GICs. Through its proven branchless approach and customer service focus, Equitable Bank has grown to approximately $31 billion in assets under management. In 2016, Equitable Bank launched a digital banking operation, EQ Bank, and introduced the EQ Bank Savings Plus Account. Equitable Bank currently employs over 750 employees across the country.
Within Equitable Bank's Core Lending business, Single Family Lending Services funds mortgages for owner-occupied and investment properties across Canada, while Commercial Lending Services provides mortgages on a variety of commercial properties on a national basis.Equitable's Securitization Financing business originates and securitizes insured residential mortgages under the Canada Mortgage and Housing ("CMHC") administered National Housing Act.Equitable Bank also offers a range of deposit products including short-term, long-term and Cashable GICs, available in non-registered or Tax Free Savings Account ("TFSA") across Canada. And it offers a High Interest Savings Account, available from authorized investment advisors through the FundServ network.
Equitable Bank is a growing Canadian financial services business and a wholly owned subsidiary of Equitable Group. It was founded in 1970 as The Equitable Trust Company.
Job Title: Residential Prime Mortgage Underwriter
Department: Single Family Residential Mortgage Department
Reports To: Manager, Residential Prime Mortgage
The Residential Prime Mortgage Underwriter is responsible for assessing all new mortgage applications and increases to existing mortgages in a timely and prudent manner within established guidelines. This must be done as efficiently as possible while exercising sound lending judgment and without compromising service and profitability.
- On a daily basis, incumbents must promptly review received applications, verify the supporting documentation to ensure accuracy and legitimacy, approve, decline or refer the applications for approval. The incumbents are also responsible to ensure that approved deals close as scheduled and as efficiently as possible by following up on outstanding conditions/documents and ensuring compliance with established guidelines.
- Follow up with brokers on a daily basis on issued mortgage commitments to ensure that funding volumes are maximized.
- On a daily basis, provide the highest level of internal and external customer service while fielding mortgage broker inquiries and building strong broker relationships.
- On a daily basis, be the main point of contact and provide underwriting expertise to mortgage brokers, provide assistance to co-workers when required to meet the Bank’s service levels and maintain up to date knowledge of company and insurers policies and products.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to details
- Excellent knowledge of mortgage default insurers’ lending programs and underwriting guidelines
- Completion of a college or equivalent post secondary degree preferably in a financial field
- Minimum 2 years’ residential underwriting experience, at least one of which in Prime underwriting
- Knowledge of and experience in underwriting residential mortgages in the Quebec market a definite asset
- Experience in underwriting mortgages for properties located in different provinces an asset
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Word and Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a constantly changing environment and to perform well in a high volume, high intensity environment
- Sound thinker with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with brokers
- Commitment to developing him/her-self and to keeping abreast of industry changes and trends
Equitable Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.
- Pay Type Salary
- Equitable Bank, 1333 8th St. SW, Suite 600, Calgary, Alberta, Canada