We are looking for our next superstar! Do you have what it takes to join our team of professionals and take on the challenging and exciting role of Cook at our full-service hotel in Iqaluit, Nunavut?
We are searching for a dynamic leader who is passionate about delivering on the promise of excellence in overall guest satisfaction. Reporting directly to the Executive Chef, this individual will be a result driven, outgoing and enthusiastic leader committed to providing results and inspiring the kitchen team to greatness.
Find your adventure in Iqaluit, and your “welcome home” at the Frobisher Inn. This is your place to watch the aurora, mush your sledding dogs, fish our crystal rivers and kayak with the flow. In the North the bond with friends, family and colleagues becomes strong, and your connection with nature becomes intimate. Come meet your adventures by joining the team at the Frobisher Inn.
We are more than a hotel, we are members of a proud Northern community, where all the modern comforts of the city exist side-by-side with traditional ways of life.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping and storing food.
- Wash and peel fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Weigh, measure and mix ingredients.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepare cold foods.
- Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves and fryers.
- Serve food in proper portions onto proper receptacles.
- Monitor food quality while preparing food.
- Set-up and break down workstation.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knifes and equipment.
- Check to ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Understand and ensure compliance of all Food Safety Act, Health and Safety regulations for Nunavut.
- Responsible for proper storage, labeling and use of all food supplies to prevent unnecessary spoilage and to maintain cost control.
- 2-3 years’ cooking in a high volume hotel or restaurant environment.
- Red Seal Certification is an asset.
- Basic culinary skills.
- A positive attitude, an eye for detail and appearance are a must.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instruction and request clarification when needed.
- Knowledge of best cooking practices.
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently under pressure.
- Familiar with industry’s best practices.
- Passion for amazing food and presentation.
- Good understanding of inventory procedures.
- Approachable, confident, supportive and positive.
- Establish priorities and work independently as well as part of a team.Consistently demonstrates accountability.
- Goes above and beyond to ensure outstanding service.
- Must be available to work flexible shifts; days, evenings and weekends
- Physical demand include, but are not limited to walking, standing, reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting up to 20-30 lbs. frequently.
- Exposure to extremely hot and extremely cold liquids.
- Will be constantly exposed to high temperatures in the kitchen environment
- Long periods of standing.
Requirements: Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
What do we offer you?
- The opportunity to join a team of hotel professionals in a 4 star Hotel in a 5 star location
- A competitive salary
- A full benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, travel, life and disability insurance
- Extra vacation days
- Annual bonus program
- Travel incentives